Almost every student I spoke to agreed with me: censorship is outdated. In fact, when I wrote the article entitled "NTU censors campus news coverage of Chee Soon Juan visit", I had difficulty finding students who agreed with NTU’s actions.But if there is anything this whole fracas has demonstrated, it would be the idea that censorship is an antiquated notion, belonging to a past era. In the age of the Internet, supression of information is difficult, if not impossible. Even before the said article was written, one of the editors at the Chronicle had already posted her displeasure about the whole issue online.
Some will argue that students have nothing better to do, and that we are just making use of the Internet to voice senseless grouses. While it is true that the blogosphere is sometimes a cauldron for complaint, it can also be a platform to voice genuine concerns. In this case, students felt that a great injustice was wrought, and something must be done about it.
In fact, this is the first time in the history of the Nanyang Chronicle that such a censorship has occured...
Click here to read the full article on TOC.